A FEW NOTES FOR
SHARON'S NEW GOVERNMENT
By Bernard J. Shapiro
1. In the coming months Israel will face enormous pressure and stress in relations to the American war on Iraq and the EU, UN, Russian & US "Road Map." It would be best, in my opinion, to remain calm but resolute on both issues. Israel's deterrence was greatly damaged in the Gulf War of 1991. Israel's population was psychologically scared by having to cower in sealed rooms and not strike back, as was the norm. This resulted in the mad delusion of Oslo which has denigrated Israeli security more than anything in its history.
A HARSH REALITY ABOUT NEGOTIATIONS FOR PEACE
We all want peace. We pray for peace in our Sabbath services every Friday night. After thousands of years, being victims of persecution, expulsion, extermination, and discrimination, it is natural that we yearn for peace with every ounce of our bodies and souls.
It is because our hunger for peace is so strong that we must be doubly cautious not to fall for a pseudo-peace that is really the wolf of war wrapped in sheep's clothing. Today none of us believe Chamberlain really negotiated "peace in our time" with Hitler. Why do some Jews believe that Peres and Rabin really negotiated PEACE with Arafat, one of today's Hitlers?
Israelis my age have fought in four wars and I understand their desire to be free of constant conflict. Unfortunately there is no magic cure. I wish I could write more optimistic words. Beyond the neighboring states that Israel is negotiating with now lies another ring of unmitigated hostility led by Islamic fundamentalists like those in Iran.
As Jews we are all involved in this historic struggle to survive. It is not our fate or that of the Israelis that we should retire from this struggle. The only peace the Arabs are prepared to give us is the peace of the grave.
In blood and fire was Israel born and on a hot anvil was she forged. The brave young soldiers of Israel must take a quick glance back to the crematoria of Auschwitz and then go forth to face the enemy knowing that there is still no alternative (ein briera).
2. All the diplomatic pressure brought to bear on Israel not to return fire if Iraq attacks must be ignored and Israel must take full responsibility for the defense and security of its citizens. This responsibility should never be given to any other nation or body, including the United States.
3. The "Road Map to Middle East Peace" is really a road map to create a terrorist state in Israel's Holy Land. Aside from religious consideration ( which, in my opinion) are overwhelming, a terrorist state next door to Israel's population & industrial core (Tel Aviv to Haifa) would be disastrous from a security point of view. It must be resisted even if we are unpopular the world over (we are already). Golda Meir once said that: "she would prefer to see a thousand angry editorials in the media rather than a beautiful eulogy at the grave site of Israel".
Below are excerpts I wrote at the inception of Oslo (September 13, 1993) that are still applicable to the emergence of a terrorist state of Palestine:
A PALESTINIAN STATE A DISSENTING VIEW
DANGERS AND REALITIES
"If all mankind, minus one, were of opinion, and that one was of the contrary opinion, it would be as unjust for mankind to silence that one man as it would be for that person, if he had the power, to silence all mankind".......John Stuart Mill
There are serious flaws in the Israel\PLO agreement that you should consider as a leader of the Jewish community. They are:
1. The most fundamental flaw is the renunciation of Jewish claims to Judea, Samaria, and Gaza. The right of the Jewish people to the Land of Israel is God-given and can not be renounced by a transitory Israeli government. The present government has no right to deprive future generations of Jews and Israelis their patrimony.
2. Yasir Arafat's PLO is incapable of providing Israelis with the cessation of violence they so dearly crave. There are ten rejectionist PLO factions plus Hamas and other Islamic fundamentalist factions that will continue to kill Jews.
3. Without the presence of Israel's internal security force (Shin Bet) inside Judea, Samaria and Gaza it will be impossible to halt terrorism or even keep it within present levels. The Israel Defense Forces maintain tremendous power but are of little importance in day-to-day terrorism. [UPDATE: Under PM Sharon the IDF has been very effective fighting terrorism.]
4. Arafat's signature on the agreement and the PLO acceptance is of no consequence as Arafat is a documented liar and Moslims are permitted to lie to non-Moslims and break agreements with them under the Koranic law of HUDAIBIYA. Agreements with them are worthless.
5. By virtue of this agreement, the Israeli government has validated Arab claims to the Land of Israel. Decades of fighting Arab propaganda and distortions of history are trivialized and discounted.
6. This agreement puts the status of Jerusalem on the negotiating table within to years. Every previous government of Israel steadfastly stood by the principle of Jerusalem being non-negotiable. The thin edge of the wedge is firmly in place and we may soon see Israel forced to give up its sacred capital.
7. All of Israel's military and civilian communications will now be easily monitored from the hills of Judea and Samaria.
8. While Israeli radar and military installations are not affected by this current agreement, the future is less certain. Eventually the population there will force the Israelis out.
9. Whether they will admit it publically or not, Israeli leaders know that this is the first step to a Palestinian state.
10. The "Palestinian right of return" has been acknowledged for the first time by the Israelis and could result in a flood of Arabs to Judea and Samaria. [UPDATE: The PA is now demanding the "right of return" of all refugees from 1948 Israel.]
11. The inevitable increase in Arab population will result in tremendous pressure on Israel's water supply. As Arab wells are dug in the Judean and Samarian hills, the natural mountain aquifer that supplies much of Tel Aviv and the coastal plain with water will be serious depleted. Such depletion will cause the salt water of the Mediterranean Sea to penetrate Israel's coastal strip destroying all water supplies. This process can be witnessed in California, where sea water has already penetrated five miles into the coast.
12. Some 70% of Israel's population and industry is concentrated in a small strip of coast and greater Tel Aviv. The population will be immediately threatened by Kaytusha rockets. Fired singly from the hills of Judea and Samaria, and set with timers they will be virtually impossible to stop. The Israeli government plan to coordinate with the Palestinian police is laughable. Recruited from among the terrorists wh delight especially in murder and mutilation of bodies, it will be rather week reed for Israel to depend on.
13. The Jewish residents of Judea, Samaria, and Gaza will no doubt be victims of ethnic cleansing. The Arabs will insist on a Jew-free country like Jordan, Saudi Arabia, and Kuwait. The Rabin government has already begun confiscating the weapons of Jews so that they will become vulnerable to massacre like the Bosnians. Unless there are changes, I expect to begin seeing pictures of murdered and raped Jewish men and women on the nightly news. The announcer will naturally blame the victim, saying they should have moved. [UPDATE: PM Sharon has been strengthening the Jews of Yesha with weapons, security fences and IDF assistance.]
14. Judea and Samaria have geographical features that are extremely significant for Israeli security. Most important is the Judean-Samarian mountain ridge running north and south and parallel to the Jordan river. From the Jordan to the top of the ridge the elevation is very sharp and fast causing a channeling of enemy forces into five passes easily controlled by much smaller Israeli forces on the mountain top. On the other hand, the slope from the top down on the western slope to the coast makes it possible for enemy troops to attack Israeli cities on the coastal plain with the IDF being unable to anticipate the route of attack, channel it and destroy it.
From the top of the mountain ridge Israeli radar is able to see as far as Iraq providing an early warning of hostile military activity. In other words, the Judean-Samarian mountains are not just a barrier but also a radar point. To surrender of such a strategic asset with great topographical significance for defending Israel from attack from the East would be the height of foolishness.
PLEASE CONSIDER THE ABOVE REALITIES. THESE ARE NOT RISKS FOR PEACE. THEY ARE JUST SELF-DESTRUCTIVE BEHAVIOR. THERE WILL BE NO PEACE.
Unfortunately this is not something that will end well. There will be a tomorrow and the day after. The true motives and the evil intent of the Arabs will become obvious to even the most blind optimist. The hills of Judea and Samaria will begin to rain death and destruction on Tel Aviv.
4. The road map is merely Oslo revisited. Have we learned nothing in the last 10 years? Santayana once said: "those who fail to learn from history are condemned to repeat it." Will Israel be like the obsessive-compulsive who bangs his head against the wall and gets a headache and then does it over and over again expecting a different result? Every part of my intelligence coupled with 45 years of almost compulsive study and attention to Israeli affairs makes me want cry out a warning against the coming disaster.
5. May the Lord, bless the leaders of Israel with the courage to pursue peace, and the wisdom to know when it is not attainable. May the Lord bless the war-weary Israeli people with the stamina to bear up under the strain, if peace not just around the corner. May they understand that their fate may be that of endless struggle to survive in a hostile world May the people of Israel prosper and go from success to success never forgetting that their destiny lies in their might, their righteousness and their faith in HaShem.