Published by The Freeman Center

The Maccabean Online

Political Analysis and Commentary
on Israeli and Jewish Affairs

"For Zion's sake I shall not hold my peace, And for Jerusalem's sake I shall not rest."



Freeman Note: This IDF release seems pretty stupid to me. Why not just destroy those sites NOW and stop the foolish games. The strength of the Heszbollah has been growing rapidly since 2006. Why does Israel always have to wait until it gets seriously dangerous before striking.There are three important strategic policies the Freeman Center has always emphasized: preemption, preemption, and preemption--Bernard

 
IDF Identifies Thousands of Hezbollah Sites in Lebanon

By Yaakov Katz
 
The Jerusalem Post

http://www.jpost.com/Defense/Article.aspx?id=224401
 
 
 
Map of Hizbullah bunkers south Lebanon
Photo by: The Washington Post
 
 
The IDF has identified thousands of Hezbollah sites throughout Lebanon, 
making its “target bank” many times larger than it was in 2006 on the eve of 
the Second Lebanon War, a senior IDF officer told The Jerusalem Post ahead 
of the fifth anniversary of the start of the conflict.

According to the officer, the IDF had approximately 200 pre-designated 
targets on July 12, 2006, when Hezbollah set off the war by abducting 
reservists Eldad Regev and Ehud Goldwasser. Those targets included close to 
100 homes and other storage sites where the Islamist group had deployed 
long-range missiles it received from Iran. The targets were destroyed on the 
first night of the war.

Today the bank has thousands more sites throughout Lebanon that would 
constitute legitimate targets in the event of a future war with Hezbollah, 
the officer told the Post. Earlier this year, the IDF released a map showing 
950 locations scattered across the country – a majority of them bunkers and 
surveillance sites.

According to the officer, Hezbollah is also believed to have passed the 
50,000 mark in the number of rockets and missiles it has obtained. Most of 
these weapons are stored in some 100 villages around southern Lebanon.

“Our intelligence is much better today than it was five years ago,” the 
officer said of the growing target bank.

In recent months, OC Northern Command Maj.-Gen. Gadi Eizenkot and Col. Assaf 
Orayun, head of the Planning Directorate’s Strategic Planning Division, have 
briefed senior diplomats as part of an effort to convince the United Nations 
to strengthen UNIFIL’s mandate, and enable it to operate independently 
within southern Lebanese villages.

UNIFIL’s mandate will be up for extension in August, and the IDF is hoping 
that by raising awareness of Hezbollah’s growing presence in these villages 
it might succeed in getting the UN to enforce a tougher mandate.

Currently, peacekeeping troops who want to enter villages need to coordinate 
their moves with the Lebanese Armed Forces (LAF), which in many cases warns 
Hezbollah.

“UNIFIL is doing an effective job in open areas, and for that reason we don’t 
really see Hezbollah positions there,” the officer said. “Instead, Hezbollah 
is based inside villages, since UNIFIL cannot go there freely.”

An investigation into a bomb attack against Italian UNIFIL soldiers last 
month is continuing. Hezbollah and a Palestinian group affiliated with al- 
Qaida have blamed each other for the attack, which injured six peacekeepers.

On Thursday, the Beirut-based Daily Star reported that Hezbollah had 
uncovered two car bombs in southern Beirut.

Meanwhile, two months after warnings were received of a Hezbollah plan to 
strike at an Israeli target overseas, the attack appears to have been 
foiled – for the time being.

Hezbollah’s desire to lash out at Israel was sparked by the 2008 
assassination of Imad Mughniyeh, the group’s military commander in Damascus.

Hezbollah blames the Mossad, and reportedly has tried to carry out revenge 
attacks several times.

According to foreign reports, such attacks were thwarted by security 
services in Azerbaijan, Thailand and Sinai in 2008, and in Turkey in 2009.

In April, ahead of the Pessah holiday, security officials took the rare step 
of revealing the names of senior Hezbollah operatives planning another 
attack.

For now, the moves seem to have deterred Hezbollah from carrying it out.

Defense officials said that Hezbollah would prefer to attack an overseas 
Israeli target – an embassy, an El Al plane or a consulate – as opposed to a 
border attack, as it would afford a level of deniability.

The security sources named Hezbollah operative Talal Hamia as commander of 
the small but well-organized unit, which also includes his bodyguard, Ahmed 
Faid, and Hezbollah’s top bomb expert, Ali Najan al-Din. Hamia was allegedly 
involved in the 1992 and 1994 bombings in Buenos Aires that targeted the 
Israeli Embassy and the AMIA Jewish community center.

Another member of the cell, Majd al-Zakur, is referred to as “the forger” 
and is responsible for preparing fake passports.

The cell is being aided by businessmen, among them a Lebanese cellphone 
salesman and a Turkish national. 
* * * * * * *

IMRA - Independent Media Review and Analysis
Website: 
www.imra.org.il