Published by The Freeman Center
The Maccabean Online
Political Analysis and Commentary
ISRAEL’S FAILED SECURITY POLICY
By Bernard J. Shapiro
has, without a doubt, the best military in world. The Israel Defense
Forces are quite capable of achieving any objective the Israeli
government puts before it. The soldiers of the IDF are brave, patriotic
and exceptionally well trained and equipped. Unfortunately Israel’s
political leadership is confused, inept and lacking in Zionist
Israel has been unable to stop the War of Extermination
against it, because it lacks the political will to do what is
necessary. The current campaign to secure the release of Cpl. Gilad
Shalit, the captured IDF soldier, illustrates this fact. The Israeli
government has given the military very limited objectives, primarily
the release of the soldier. Proper strategic planning would use the sad
situation of Shalit’s capture to achieve a number of far reaching and
Already Olmert has done several things that prevent the accomplishment of these aims. He has stopped the offensive in Gaza to allow time for negotiations to release Shalit. He has allowed Israel\'s enemy, Egypt, to intervene, and given the terrorists time to re-group and make demands. Yesterday, Defense Minister Peretz even authorized the shipment of 600 truckloads of supplies to relieve the siege.
The Israeli objectives should be:
1. The release of the soldier.
2. Elimination of the terrorist leadership in the PA.
3. Item #2 means successfully destroying the newly elected Hamas government.
4. Immediate annexation of all territory in Judea and Samaria that has strategic and religious value (which means all).
5. Withdraw citizenship and voting rights from Israeli Arabs who support terrorism against the State of Israel.
6. Create municipal councils but not sovereignty for Arab cities in the newly annexed areas.
7. Encourage Arab emigration by strict enforcement of taxes, building permits, national service requirements, and by providing funds to aid in emigration.
8. Dramatically increase Jewish immigration to Israel by reducing taxes and regulations on business. Immigration will soar once the lands of Judea and Samaria are opened up for massive Jewish settlement.
9. The Zionist/Jewish character of Israel must be affirmed and the cost of Jewish blood must rise dramatically as the government develops a zero tolerance for terrorism.
All of the above objectives are achievable. It is my hope that the Olmert government will be replaced soon with a new Zionist government committed to the objectives I have listed. A failure of the present government to achieve the first three objectives would only hasten its being massively repudiated by the public.
There are a few other things that make my blood boil. Here is a list and the explanations.
12 THINGS I AM SICK AND TIRED OF:
1. I am sick and tired of the slowly escalating actions of the IDF to fight terrorism.
The slow escalation allows PA terrorism to become immune to Israel\'s strategy. It allows them to smuggle more guns, missiles, mortars and anti-aircraft missiles into PA territory. This is much the same as with bacterial infections. If the antibiotic is not strong enough to eliminate it, then the disease will return in a much more virulent form. I would suggest that the IDF launch a massive offensive against the terrorists until victory.
2. I am sick and tired of the Israeli government\'s fear of collateral damage to the enemy.
The Arabs have no such qualms. In fact they target civilians in bestial suicide bombings. PA weapons factories, weapons storage depots and bomb making facilities should be blasted off the face of earth even if it causes civilian casualties. Remember that "he who is merciful to the cruel, will end up being cruel to the merciful."
3. I am sick and tired of Israeli PM Olmert\'s policy of restraint.
The adjustment to accepting the killing of Jews is an abomination. A Jew here or there murdered daily, pretty soon adds up to a lot of dead and maimed Jews. I remember when the Al Aksa terror on Israel began in September 2000, the IDF general staff opened a file called "Operation Thorns", a plan for the retaking of the PA areas. They estimated Israeli dead at 300. Since then there have been almost 1500 Jews killed, which is five times the estimated combat deaths (plus 10,000 wounded, many maimed for life), with no apparent consequences to the terrorists’ ability to inflict casualties on Israel. There is one extremely important variable. The PA has used the last six years to build bunkers, firing positions, smuggle in heavy weapons and missiles, create an underground arms industry and organize an army of 80,000. The defeat of PA now would certainly be more costly. And it will grow with time. There is a very short window of time to defeat the PA terrorists with minimal losses. Many political analysts and military experts agree that Israel must take decisive action NOW.
4. I am sick and tired of the US State Department urging Israel to show "restraint."
Despite the fact that the CIA knows exactly WHO (PA) is attacking WHOM (Israel) the State Department continues call for a stop to the "cycle of violence." Whenever Israel is attacked viciously, there is rush to tell Israel "to turn the other cheek".
5. I am sick and tired of Shimon Peres trying to arrange another appeasement for the PA.
He claims to be seeking a cease fire and a return to negotiations. Let me be honest with you. I don\'t want negotiations with either Hamas or Abbas, I want to crush them and their terrorist gangs.
6. I am sick and tired of the continued UN presence within the borders of Israel.
It\'s time to remove them and assert Israel\'s sovereignty. Israel should work to have the world withdraw its recognition of Arab refugee camps and refugees. It should condemn the hypocritical treatment of the Arab countries in exploiting these people for political purposes. Israel should declare in a strong voice that there are NO refugees. That status is not permanent and obviously should not apply to people living in the same place for 58 years.
7. I am sick and tired of the international boycott of Jerusalem as Israel\'s capital.
Israel should unilaterally announce to the nations of the world that all embassies MUST be in Jerusalem. (Consulates may be in Tel Aviv or any other place they want). Israel will no longer permit its eternal capital to be disrespected.
8. I am sick and tired that under both Labor and Likud governments, Arutz Sheva, Israel National Radio, has not been fully legalized.
Whatever happened to freedom of speech? Arutz Sheva should not only be allowed to establish facilities on land but also a television channel. I am also sick and tired of government television being controlled and dominated by the extreme left that does not represent the Israeli public. A lot of the time they represent the Arabs and not Israelis.
9. I am sick and tired of Israel\'s trying to be \'Mister Nice Guy\' to a hypocritical world.
Europeans are increasingly comparing Israel to the Nazis. Over half of all the resolutions of the UN since its founding have been directed against Israel. At the conference on how to condemn Israel in Durban, South Africa, UN head Kofi Anan condemned Israel for existing. In fact, at a recent meeting at the UN, there was a map of "Palestine", which included all of Israel. The Arab world openly plots the destruction of Israel. I am sick and tired of the vilification of "settlers".
10. I am sick and tired of Israel tolerating Moslem restrictions and desecrations on the Temple Mount.
The excuse that it would cause violence to exercise our rights there is absurd. Israel has the capability to enforce security. Virtually everything Israel wants do in the Land of Israel displeases the Arabs, who want us to leave. Jews should be allowed to pray on the Temple Mount and the destruction of Jewish antiquities by the Moslem waqf needs to be stopped immediately.
11. I am sick and tired of PA demonstrations of the fierceness of their terrorists and how they will destroy Israel.
Why not knock off a bunch of them during their demonstrations? Maybe they would be more circumspect.
12. And most important, the IDF and police should never be used for political purposes. Their purpose is to protect Israelis and not to expel them from their homes or persecute them.
I believe that we will defeat our current adversaries. We will succeed and survive from three sources of our strength: Love of Tanach (Torah), Love of Eretz Israel (Land of Israel, and Love of Am Yisrael (People of Israel).
.......In blood and fire was Israel born, and on a hot anvil was she forged. Her youth understood that life in the new Jewish homeland would require sacrifice. With stories of the stench of burning flesh from the ovens of Auschwitz embedded deep in their psyches, the young Israeli soldiers fight with the firm conviction that there is still no alternative, "ein breira."
To that I would like add something the American soldiers used to say during the heaviest fighting in Viet Nam. This is dedicated (slightly revised) to the brave IDF soldiers who face the enemy every day: Yea, though I walk through the Valley of Death, I will fear no evil because the Almighty fights with me for the Restoration of Zion and for love of HIS people, Israel.
.......And for the Jews of YESHA, I believe that He will NOT allow Olmert to expel them from the heartland of ERETZ YISRAEL.
BERNARD J. SHAPIRO, a frequent contributor to JewishIndy, is Executive director of the Freeman Center For Strategic Studies and the editor of its monthly Internet magazine, The Maccabean Online. He is also editor of its daily email broadcast of news and political/strategic analysis, the Freemanlist. (firstname.lastname@example.org).