Published by The Freeman Center
The Maccabean Online
Political Analysis and Commentary
WISHFUL BUT LOGICAL THINKING
by Emanuel A. Winston
Member Board of Direcectors and Research Associate
Freeman Center For Strategic Studies
Let us assume for a brief moment that both Iran and Syria would simply disappear. As the epicenters for Global Terrorism close down, what would Muslim terrorists world-wide do for support, training, safe houses, funds, and weapons? Granted, they could unleash whatever is in their power locally, in whatever country allowed them to bed down. But, they would have unleashed that damage at some time on orders from Tehran and Damascus. As they say: "Better Now Than Later!"
So, who is at risk from a nuclear capable Iran?
Certainly every country in the Middle East - including the oil fields - including Israel. You do understand that a nuclear explosion over the oil fields of Saudi Arabia would lift enough sand particulates (now irradiated) to close those fields forever. The fires started would rage, unchecked, for years - because men could not go in to put out the fires at the well-heads.
I mention this because I feel reasonably certain that few nations would give a damn if Tel Aviv became ground zero for one large nuclear blast courtesy of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad but, the Saudi fields are another story, so let痴 be patient with Iran. (Right!)
Iran, unlike North Korea, is driven by religious motives which not only accept a devastating nuclear response, actually look forward to martyrdom in the nuclear holocaust that destroys the Jewish State and the Jewish people. They would receive all the benefits and privileges bestowed upon them in Islamic Warrior痴 Heaven. There, what the Mullahs deny to them on earth would be granted in the shape of "72 virgins and rivers of honey" promised to those who die while killing "infidels" (non-Muslims) - especially Jews.
In brief, there are no negotiations possible - except those which will give them the delayed time to complete their bomb(s).
OPTIONS TO SOLUTIONS
1. Wait until Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and his Ayatollahs have gathered in one auditorium for a religious festival or in memoriam for some successful attack on those they call "infidels" (any non-Muslims). Then, obliterate all with conventional or tactical nuclear weapons.
2. Immediately send in missiles, designed to produce EMP (Electro-Magnetic-Pulse). This surge of energy will fry every circuit, micro-processor from your watch to your computer, cars to airplanes through anything that is not shielded.
3. Immediately following that, using a mix of conventional and nuclear-tipped missiles to strike every known nuclear facility built in Iran. For those buried very deep and encased in concrete have repeated follow-on strikes at ground zero to dig (explode) its way down to the facility. Rapid strikes will also send harmonic vibrations (like vibrating earthquakes) destroying tunnels and bunkers with shock.
4. Destroy the infrastructure of power plants so it will take years for Iran to start up its civilization again. Take out its airfields, shipping (large and small) to include mining the harbors.
Going back to #1. Inform all the Iranian Generals that they will be kept on in their lucrative and prestigious jobs - providing there is no record of their having been involved in building or launching nuclear missiles.
6. The Political Echelon that has demonstrated that it does not seek to rule the world should be notified that they will receive all support necessary for civilian needs if they cooperate.
There will be no need for American or Allied "boots-on-the-ground". All attacks will be done through missiles. While I personally would not give prior notice to the Russians to get their nuclear technicians out of Iran, others may think it wise to give them 24 hour notice. However, a strike on Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and the Ayatollahs should come as a complete surprise - with no notice - allowing them to scatter and escape underground.
WHAT ABOUT SYRIA?
Syria has remained a trouble maker and a terrorist base for at least 12 different Muslim Terrorist organizations for over 50 years. Destroying their infrastructure, military capability would take them out of the terror out-reach business for quite awhile . Should they, however, use their large arsenal of chemical-tipped missiles, then like Iran, they should be obliterated with nuclear and conventional weapons.
In this day and age of area-wide weapons, rogue nations cannot be allowed to thrive and build toward a capability where they can literally destroy whole cities at a single blow.
There are no reliable assurances that negotiations can deliver. Nations like Iran and Syria have proven time and again that they are willing to lie, sign treaties with no intentions of keeping them. These are wildly rogue nations who can no longer claim to be in the humanitarian family of man. They are too dangerous for their neighbors or other nations globally to trust or tolerate.
If civilization is to move forward in one whole piece or be destroyed, these rogue nations must be eliminated or, at the very least, reduced to a primitive status where they can no longer do any harm.
This must be done now - before they are both nuclear capable. Hopefully, President Bush will ignore the Baker connection to Syria and Iran which has thrived underground in Washington for years. Their interest is limited to cash flow and has little interest in containing rogue nations like Iran and Syria. Their advise is biased, self-serving and not to be trusted!
[NOTE! I have enclosed an article by Yoram Ettinger which speaks eloquently to the motives of James Baker, Lee Hamilton in their desire to negotiate our lives with Iran and Syria.]
FROM: YORAM ETTINGER
In early 1990 末 while I served at Israel\'s Embassy in DC 末 then Secretary of State Jim Baker brutally pressured Prime Minister Shamir, contending that sweeping Israeli concessions would moderate the Mideast, and would sooth anti-US sentiments in the Arab/Muslim world.
Until the August 1990 Iraq\'s invasion of Kuwait, Baker - supported by Lee Hamilton then Chairman of the House Middle East Subcommittee - was preoccupied with the Arab-Israeli conflict, appeasing Saddam Hussein and other Arab leaders, pressuring Israel to embrace the PLO and freeze Jewish settlements. Notwithstanding Baker\'s pandering to rogue regimes 末 and bolstered by it - Saddam invaded Kuwait, threatening to sweep Saudi Arabia, Jordan and the Gulf area. Saddam\'s invasion was facilitated by PLO collaborators in Kuwait, and spearheaded by PLO units stationed in Iraq.
Enclosed you\'ll find the 199th issue of Straight From The Jerusalem Cloakroom. It is a 2nd part in a series which examines Jim Baker\'s intriguing assumption that the less-than-a-century-old Palestinian issue is the core cause of the 13-century-old Islamic terrorism and Mideast violence. The 1st part (#197) demolishes the allegation that the Palestinian issue is, ostensibly, a (let alone The) root cause of anti-US Islamic terrorism.
Enjoy it, and may we heed the lesson of Jacob the Patriarch, who featured in last week\'s portion of the Torah: Just like Jacob\'s Ladder, so should we aspire for high-level goals, but always have our feet planted in ground-level realism.
Yoram (http://yoramettinger.newsnet.co.il for previous issues and OpEds)
Straight From The Jerusalem Cloakroom #199, Yoram Ettinger, December 4, 2006
Root Causes of Anti-US Islamic Terrorism (2nd part in a series)
1. JIM BAKER\'S TRACK RECORD. Until the 1990 invasion of Kuwait, then Secretary of State Jim Baker placated Saddam Hussein by a transfer of sensitive technologies, by $5BN loan guarantees, by intelligence-sharing, by referring to a potential invasion of Kuwait as "an inter-Arab issue", and by attempting to break the back of Israel\'s Prime Minister Shamir. Thus, Baker energized rogue regimes and fueled turmoil in the Gulf and beyond, second only to the turmoil triggered by Jimmy Carter\'s pandering to Khomeini. In 2006, Baker 末 just like Carter - is determined to learn from history by repeating 末 rather than by avoiding 末 past critical errors.
2. ISLAMIC TERRORISM HAS BEEN A GLOBAL PHENOMENON, unrelated to the Palestinian issue, to Israel\'s policy, to Jewish settlements or to Israel\'s existence. It has plagued India, Indonesia, Thailand, Sri Lanka, Philippines, Australia, Nigeria, Sudan, Algeria, Mauritania, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Turkey, Scandinavia, Holland, France, England, Russia, the USA, etc.
3. ISLAMIC TERRORISM MIS-PERCEIVED. Tony Blair briefed the "Baker Iraq Study Group" (Nov. 2006): Progress on the Israeli Palestinian conflict, and the establishment of a Palestinian State, is essential for any solution in Iraq and for moderating Arabs and Moslems. Blair\'s mis-comprehension of the core causes of Islamic terrorism has been exposed by the Head of England\'s M15, Eliza Manningham-Buller (Nov. 2006): Since July 2005, 200 Islamic terrorist cells and 1,600 Moslem terrorists have been identified, and 5 major homicide plots have been foiled, in England. Also, would-be British Moslem homicide-bombers were arrested before blowing up airplanes flying across the Atlantic (Aug. 2006).
4. VICTIMS OF ISLAMIC TERRORISM have been mostly Muslims, Christians, Hindus, Buddhists and also Jews.
5. EXEMPT FROM ISLAMIC TERRORISM are Iran, Syria, Saddam\'s Iraq, Pakistan, Palestinian Authority, Yemen, Muslim Sudan.
6. MOST MUSLIMS ARE NOT TERRORISTS, but most terror organizations and most terrorists are Muslims. Most Muslim terrorists benefit from 末 and advance the interests of - host Muslim regimes. More than non-Moslem terrorist organizations, Moslem terrorist organizations are state-supported.
7. ISLAMIC TERRORISM HAS BEEN A MIDEAST FIXTURE since the seventh century, afflicting the region, each Arab country and the entire globe (to be elaborated in 3rd part of the series).
8. ACCORDING TO BAKER\'s COST-EFFECTIVE INGENUITY, rather than flex a muscle against Iran and other rogue regimes, instead of challenging the Palestinian Authority of Terror, the US should suspend disbelief, shrink the Jewish State to the defenseless 1949 Lines and establish a Palestinian State. Such a contriving approach would, supposedly, moderate the Middle East and mollify the unprecedented wave of anti-US Islamic terrorism. Does Baker really believe that a connection exists between the Palestinian issue and the aforementioned Islamic terrorism?
Does he actually assume that the less-than-a-century-old Palestinian issue is the core cause of the 13-century-old Islamic terrorism and Mideast violence? If there were such a connection, then it would behoove the US to focus on minimizing Mideast violence and Islamic terrorism, which would facilitate the resolution of the Arab/Palestinian-Israeli conflict.