Published by The Freeman Center
The Maccabean Online
Political Analysis and Commentary
(A Personal Note to Bernard from Professor Paul Eidelberg)
It would be futile for me to write what is being written by many other commentators, namely, Obama’s hostile actions toward Israel. Israel is being blackmailed. This is a replay of the Carter cutoff of arms during the 3 months preceding the 1978 Camp David summit (which I learned of from a well-placed contact in the USA).
The question is whether Israel can trump this blackmail? I don’t know, but we must increase Obama’s unpopularity among Americans.
First, Israel take steps to establish a “Voice of Israel” comparable to the VOA America had in the Cold War. Of course the VOI should transmit the “Israel Narrative” in English and other languages.
Second, Israeli spokesmen and supporters in America should publicize Israel’s past and present contribution to the American economy and military security. For most of this info, Google and update my essay “The Fixation of Israel’s Elites on ‘Land for Peace’: Five Interpretations” (2007). American supporters of Israel should emphasize (a) Israel's contribution to the safety of American air travelers, and (b) how Israel’s Medical Technology contributes to the health of the American people.
Our primary audience is the US Congress, the Evangelicals, and Glenn Beck.
So much for the immediate, whose purpose is to alienate Americans from Obama, who must be portrayed as anti-America both in word and deed. What about the long range?
1) Israel should resurrect its Levi Fighter Aircraft Program, with India as its co-producer. India would surely be interested since the Levi Fighter is the model for China’s J-10 which has been called the “Chinese Levi.”
2) Israel should establish closer ties with Portugal. President, Dr. Jorge Sampaio’s maternal grandmother comes from a Moroccan Jewish family, and he has several distant relatives living in Israel. (Sampaio is quoted as saying “l am proud of my Jewish ancestry.”)
3) A propos of the previous item, Israel should improve her relationship with Portuguese-speaking Brazil, which is expected to become one of the five largest economies in the world.
4) Israel should establish a high-tech, cooperative relationship with Italy. The waters of the Mediterranean lap the shores of both countries, and both have a common interest in keeping the Mediterranean free. By the way, great rabbis have been Italians, a fact that should be exploited. Many Catholic priests are anxious to learn Hebrew, a language in which Pico della Mirandola, the Italian Renaissance philosopher, was conversant.
5) The members of Israel's diplomatic corps should be fluent in the language of the host country to which they are assigned. (To be continued.)